Originally Posted by Yukoner
I have used the 270 Win in various rifles since 1962. Have shot a pile of varmints and big game using everything from 90 gr Sierra HPs to 170 gr Speer RN bullets. It just plain works, on everything from groundhogs to grizzlies. The second largest moose I ever killed was taken at such a long distance I am embarrassed to tell anyone today. Let's just say I held a full body depth, from withers to brisket, over his back, and the game was over with a single 130 gr Winchester Silvertip launched by 62 gr of the old surplus H4831.

As well as my beloved 35, 9.3 and 375 rifles have done in filling freezers over the past 50 years, it is my very distinct impression that I have had more one shot kills with the 270 Win than any other cartridge, and 160 Partitions were responsible for no small number of them.

A ten inch twist barrel will handle the 160 just fine, and it shoots flat enough to kill big game out to 300 yd easily, with a dead on hold.

Ted

Good post.This is of far more value than a bunch of number crunching telling us why they won't work well....thanks for posting,Ted.nice to hear the real world stuff. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.