Eremicus,

You're making wayy too much out of how "smart" elk are.

IMO, and I've killed quite a number of elk (51), its really not a question of how smart an elk is, more a function of the country they choose to live in and how they respond to pressure.

For a bull to get old, they better not be standing next to a road that accessible via ATV, Truck, horse, or even foot trails in some cases.

Bulls that live to be old, usually just happen to choose a place to live where people dont hunt, or at least where theres just not the pressure.

Older, post rut bulls, seek out a secure place, usually off the beaten path, and stay there until some other factor forces them to move (snow, pressure, etc). If theres no reason for them to move...they likely wont. That makes them tough to find.

I'm not saying that elk arent capable of responding to pressure to find ways to survive...but they arent going to be challenging the theory of relativity anytime soon either.

I'm of the opinion that many hunters are much better at "out-smarting" themselves, than "outsmarting" elk. Hard work, staying positive, and staying out all day will lead to results.

The best elk hunters I know are extremely driven and focused. They'll get their butts kicked elk hunting 14 days straight, but they'll attack day 15 just as hard as the 14 previous. Those type of guys kill elk every year...they just flat refuse to fail. Its not they have better equipment, are better shots, glass better, or have some secret elk decoder pin...they just flat get it done.

Consistantly killing big bulls is hard work, most arent willing to do what it takes (myself included).

Last edited by BuzzH; 12/30/12.