Mark, it was bulls hit and not found by the hunter, but found dead by the researchers later. I'm just going from memory here, but at one time I had the study report and since it's been awhile back I'd hate to make a incorrect statement on the number that sticks in my head about the percentage of bulls lost from arrows. I do remember it was higher than I would have guessed.

One thing that might be mentioned is much of this country where the study was done isn't conducive to finding hit animals. The country is very brushy and even a 100 yard dash after a hit could require some serious looking and luck to find. No BS here, but I located a couple of my dead bulls with my nose. It was easy to walk within a few yards of a dead elk and still not spot it.

Bulls were also lost from rifle hits and one time driving to elk camp late on a Friday night I picked up a wet and cold research guy walking down the road with his telemetry stuff trying to locate a bull that hadn't moved in a few days. He was pretty certain it was dead, but hadn't located it yet.

Last edited by Lonny; 12/31/12.