Lost one the first time I used a Partition, 180 grains, .30-'06. There was a big doe standing with two smaller does at about 150 yards on tilled cropland, pretty much a chip shot for here. They all took off but my cousin thought he saw the big one react to the shot. No blood or hair but you don't always get that. There was just enough snow to show the deer didn't leave the half section. We started a search after waiting a bit for the deer to bed and kicked the two smaller ones up out of a weedy corner. We spent the rest of the morning checking every plow furrow and every patch of weeds and every inch of the perimeter of the half section for signs she left but never found a thing. Not even a spot of blood but the snow was patchy on the dark tilled earth. Was like a UFO came by and sucked her up. Hope I just plain missed but I'll put it down to me screwing up for lack of evidence of anything else. Did leave a (undeserved) sour taste for Partitions though.

Have lost a few pheasants, it's inevitable. The last one was dead in the air but fell into a big patch of horse peppermint so the dogs were no help. We tromped around a bunch but funny how those gaudy colored birds can disappear in the weeds.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.