Originally Posted by JD338
I shot a big buck earlier this season with my S&W 629 44 Rem Mag. High shoulder shot dropped him in his tracks. He thrashed for about 20-30 seconds and then got up stumbled and fell a couple times and disappeared in the thick stuff. I never found him! I was and still am just sick about it.
I spent over 10 hours looking for him but never found him.
Here is a picture of him after the shot on the trail cam.
[Linked Image]
I do a fair amount of shooting through out the year. I know my equipment is good, sighted in and I am pretty proficient with it. I guess sometimes "things happen".
I have to live with this and the fact that I could have, and should have, put a second bullet into him.

JD338

Another reason I don't take high shoulder shots. You simply shot a bit high, where if you'd have taken center lungs the deer would have been dead right now, you only shot above the vitals and spine more than likely, and he'll be fine which is good news actually.

I've seen same exact shot 3 times this year on our lease, going for high shoulders... 2 broke the back and the folks were amazed, both had to be shot again. The other was the doe a buddies dad lost. Just takes an inch or so too high when you are aiming at the fringe of the vital zone.

And yeah the 2nd bullet may well have helped.

No flames inteneded but the idea of high shoulderblade shot so folks don't have to track bothers me and always has. Why not shoot for center of vitals to give room for most error/largest target. As noted we are not always perfect. Some like me are rarely perfect.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....