Originally Posted by nathanial
Got to ask. Why would you tell the officer you are carrying?

For me, it's because that's the law in OH:

Originally Posted by Ohio's CCW Laws and Application, p.14
If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a motor vehicle or not, he shall inform the law enforcement officer that he is carrying a concealed handgun. If in a vehicle, the licensee shall remain in the vehicle and keep his hands in plain sight at all times. Violating this section of law is a first-degree misdemeanor, and in addition to any other penalty handed down by a court, may result in the suspension of the person�s concealed handgun license for one year.

However, if at the time of the stop the law enforcement officer or an employee of a motor carrier enforcement unit who made the stop had actual knowledge that the licensee has had a CCW license, then the person�s CCW license shall not be suspended for a violation of ORC 2923.16(E)(3). The CCW licensee�s violation will be considered a minor misdemeanor.

I'm inclined to give a cop the benefit of the doubt. I'll keep my hands on the wheel, tell him/her I've got a license & I'm carrying, & ask what instructions that have for me. At this point, I will have done all I can do to put them at ease in a situation where they have no idea what they'll encounter. My bet is that they'll appreciate the gesture, & dispense with any attitude because they know that I'm a good guy, & I'm trying to make their job easier.

I could be wrong, & run into the odd officer with too much purpose in his/her life, or Short Penis Syndrome, or whatever. But I'm betting I'll be right more often than I'm wrong.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC