Originally Posted by TechHunter
Looking for a concealed carry size pistol & I would like to buy a S&W Shield but they are not available as well as alot of the smaller pistols. Have found two Taurus, PT 111 Millennium G2 and a PT 709 Slim. PT111 feels good to handle but is slightly bigger than the PT709. PT709 the grip is small by design but would take some getting use to. Thought I would buy one of them & then buy the Shield when they come available. Does anybody have an opinion on which one of the PT you would buy to use a concealed carry pistol and why or why not. Thanks for any comments.

If you're going to carry a gun, assuredly you're expecting it to save your life. Therefore, you have to carefully consider compromises. Start with what you consider to be the best handgun for saving your life. Work from there to where you want to be.

My opinion is the best is a 1911A1. But when I carry, which is rare, it's a Sig P229 in 40 S&W. While the .40 S&W ain't a .45 ACP, it holds more rounds. Not having to reload is a tactical advantage. And it's slightly smaller than a full-size 1911A1.

I used to carry a Model 60 with 5 158 grain SWC .38 SPL +P rounds and another five in a speed loader. This is a neck & up weapon. Under ideal conditions, it takes too long to reload 5 more .38 SPL rounds. I'd hate to have to reload it in darkness while a bad guy is shooting at me. It ain't a very good weapon with which to save my life. It'll work on feral dogs, but not when bag guys are trying to kill me.

When it comes to saving your life, a general rule is bigger (caliber) is better.