I closed a credit card years ago. I sent them the payoff amount and asked them to close it. Evidently some interest accrued while the payment was in route or something because I got a bill for 10 cents the next month. I called them to see if they'd drop it and close the account and they said I either sent them their 10 cents or face a $35 late charge. Not wanting to run into the same problem again I sent them a check for 11 cents just to make sure. I ended up with a 1 cent credit when I closed the account.

So, I called them and asked them to send me my 1 cent. The lady on the phone said, "Sir you're being ridicules you don't really expect us to send you a check for 1 cent." I said "what's more ridicules, your bank demanding a broke college student send them a check for 10 cents or a broke college student asking for his 1 cent back. I only wish I could threaten you with a $35 late charge."

They sent me the check and then I never cashed it. I still get pre-approvals for a new card from them and I usually write no thanks on it and mail it back in at their expense.

Bb