gunner500 I have been shooting my 1st Shiloh since 1992. It took a few years to learn how to load for it. Most of the advice I got from them "in the know" was to have it rebarreled and chambered for a 45-70 or other little cartridge. The 3 1/4" cases take some work but they do shoot well once you are on track and understand what they need. since then I've shot a couple of mule deer and antelope with my 3 1/4 50. I shot a 1 1/2 year old bull down in the Nebraska Sandhills 1 month ago with my 45 2 7/8 and paper patched bullets,2 wks later a friend used my rifle and ammo to shoot his. Doing it like this, the way they did it with the use of the same equipment gives a guy a better perspective on how tough it was back then. You don't get that shooting behind the ear with a modern ctr fire and scope.Both of us had to stalk our animals and wait for an opportunity to shoot( cleared animal with no other in the way). . Some will say no big deal but these buffalo get shot at from Labor day to presidents day and they know 2 legged varmints are up to no good.In a sense it's tougher now ,back then they didn't care whether the buffalo die in 1 min or 2 hrs as long as they got the tongue or the hide. Now we all strive for a humane one shot kill. Winter haired buffalo have lots of hair 2-4" hanging below the body line, other than their face a buffalos head is covered with long curly hair . Picking his ear or earhole out of that hair over ironsights at over 100 yds might not be as simple as some here suggest.If you can do that,by all means do as you like but as MD suggested behind the frt leg tight 12" up from the hair line is a better shot for an ironsight user.One of them Henry Mts tags and a bull like the one pictured with my 45- 2 7/8 or 50 3 1/4 would be a mighty fine event in my life. Wished now I wouldn't have waited as long as I did to shoot the 1 st one. It will allways be a Sharps-bp-paper patched bullet for me on buffalo. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 02/17/13.