Guys I've been doing some testing and must say things arent working out
The way I thought they would. My rifle is a rem 700 sps varmint 26" barrel 1 in 12" twist 308.
I skim bedded it with devcon in a B & C Medalist target tactical stock. Installed a Timney 510 Trigger set to 2.5 pounds. I also added a Gretan firing pin assembly after some light primer strikes resulting in misfires. Had no misfires since this addition but did have to alter the cocking ramp on the bolt to ease cocking effort. I simply polished and mated the contacting surfaces and changed the angle slightly. This made a huge difference.
Now to my questions. I managed to work up a very good load using 150 Accubonds, win cases, cci br2 , 46.6 grains of varget. Velocity avg. 2775. ES 6 SD 2. For several
three shot groups. Rl 15 at 46.5 grains with 150 sst average around 2780 but my
variation is much greater than with varget. My question is: doesnt this velocity seem
Awful low for these charges with a 26" tube? 51.5 grains of power pro will run 2840 but es and SD are all over the place with groups decent. I had some h4895 and decided to give it a try. 45.5 grains behind a 150 sst with 210m and win cases
Produced avg. Velocity of 2885 with es 13 and SD 7.group ok. No pressure signs whatsoever. Why am I getting so much more velocity from the h4895? From all my books and research, I would have thought one of the others would give better velocity. I plan to do a more extensive workup with the 4895 soon. I realize velocity isn't everything but 100 extra feet per sec with no more pressure and similar accuracy would be hard to pass up. I simply don't understand why my velocity with varget and rl15, even power pro 2000 mr are as low as they are from this length barrel. What could cause this? Big chamber? Long throat? Twist rate? Also, I back calculated my drop to verify the chronograph results and they confirmed the results. I'm very satisfied with the rifle. I've shot some very small groups with it. If it likes h 4895 then that's whAt I'll use. I'm simply confused by some of my findings and always eager to learn Something new. Any comments would be appreciated.