Saw starting 101 , the quick method.

I never seen a saw that wouldn't give fits every now and again. Mostly operator error.

Problim #1 ?
Miss the chance to turn the choke off starting and flood the saw. Close second, bad fuel in a saw that sat around.

Any saw that don't start. (assuming the fuel is topped with proper freash fuel)

Pick the saw up by the recoil rope.
If the saw comes off the bench and slowly 'putts' back down to the bench, there should be enough compression to run, continue.

Pull the spark-plug.
If you have been trying to start the saw for awhile, it is either going to be as dry as a popcorn fart, or it will be wet fouled ?
Wet-fouled, continue.

Cook the business end of the plug with a propane torch, camp-stove, gass stove or even a few minnutes with a lighter.

Red hot, or near red hot will dry and clean the plug.

Twist that hot plug back in as fast as you can, put the plug-wire back on and start the saw. More offten then not, something happens!

No compression, (scorered piston witb the muff off, no compression on a guage) non-pro Stihl (orange handle) i would prolly scrap the saw.

Dry plug, sometomes sitting around the carb/fuel-pump dries out and won't charge the crank/cylinder. Sometimes dumping a spoon full of fuel down the carb will get a few putts.
Sometimes that breif start/run force the built in fuel pump/carb to wake up.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!