Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by MacLorry
The yield is so low on TIPS that there's little downside risk from that aspect. TIPS are being used as a safe-haven when stocks are in retreat, like today. Unlike gold, there's no built-in spread between the buy and sell price of TIPS and if you hold them through a mutual fund, they pay dividends.

The trick will be to sell them at the right time.

The yield being so low is exactly why there is a risk of downside in rising interest rates. The low rate creates an unusually long duration. Long duration bonds react inversely to interest rates.

TIPS risk article 1

TIPS risk article 2

TIPS risk video

It really starts at about the 2:45 mark. The interviewer brings up the ability to get out of them quickly if needed. You can see the manager's hesitation of even he being able to do it in a timely fashion.

I realize you have done well in the TIPS and you should have with the longer duration favoring them with lowering rates. My comments about caution is when rates rise due to inflation. That is what can take the TIPS investors by surprise.

Thanks for the info. Like I said the trick will be to sell them at the right time.