Originally Posted by kutenay
That is VERY interesting, I knew Grizzly researchers 30-40+ years ago, who would pour anhydrous ammonia around their mountain tented campsites and told us that this repelled Grizzlies.

I don't know, never tried it and in the many years where I would spend months alone with only a supply trip once every six weeks living in some of the most densely populated Grizzly country on Earth, I just kept a meticulously clean camp, burned ALL organic wastes AND cans, bottles, etc and watched what/where and how I did things. I had several close encounters, but, no real problems and I enjoy seeing these bears up close...as long as they are "friendly".

However, the thing that I have found extensive bush time teaches is NOT how "much" you know...it is how LITTLE and also how humility REALLY is your best "tool" for bush life.

I am going to get some mothballs and test this in the Kootenays with bears and a "bait" as this is perhaps the best "tip" that I have ever been given, other than to stay away from "slides".

Dewey
Really?

Thought you had gotten over the nonsense of thinking 200 bear sightings in 40 years made your bear population "dense!" While my son's Kodiak hunt this year only lasted an hour and we only saw three bears if you include two the next day... that is still pretty dense when comparing 200 in 40 years.

Of course last spring we only saw about 200 in two weeks, literally.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.