Originally Posted by docdb
Originally Posted by Calvin
Guided hunt? Who cares what you bring... If the guide is worth anything, he'll put you a on legal ram, despite how unprepared you are.

I agree for the most part, but feet will stop the hunt. Can't shoot will prevent the kill. Bad attitude will make both of you wish you were never born

Originally Posted by 4214chip
The gore-tex will work good for breaking the wind while ridge top glassing. Don't expect it to keep you dry if get into a good ol' Alaskan rainy spell.

If you have a leather rifle sling, get a nylon one. The leather will get wet and heavy and take a while to dry...the nylon one will dry quickly. Don't forget some type of scope covers to keep the lenses dry.

A few of duct tape can come in very handy. Wrap some around a tooth brush handle or buy a small roll from an outdoor shop.

You will be eating different food. Take along a few meds to get your "plumbing" uncloged if that becomes a problem and also take along something to slow down the 'flow' if that becomes a problem. Best way to avoid either problem is to stay hydrated.

Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Do yourself a favor and bring a good camera and take lots of pictures, 20 years from now you'll be glad you did.

Originally Posted by kscowboy01
We are going to load some 150 grain Barnes TSX and see how they shoot. We also have some other bullets that we may try but will start here.

As a young guy who just turned 30, it's amazing the knowledge-sharing that guys are willing to give you if you respect their knowledge and are willing to shut-up, listen, and be appreciative. I feel as though my generation lacks this a times.

Thank you again and keep the tips coming.

You're right, lots of good interesting/useful stuff. I have only ever dreamed of sheep hunting. At your age I loved to scramble through any terrain, especially mountains. 25 years and hereditary have ruined any hope I have of doing that again. I don't regret the pics I maybe only wish we had had digital back then. "Gore-tex will get you wet" has been my experience as well - except in mild use. +1 on nylon slings. If you decide to run with Barnes monos, not that need you that hard a bullet to get good penetration, find a good combo for the ones with the extra T, the TTSX. Monos work great when they work right, but I have caught or recovered over half of the TSXs I've used and expansion has been weak. Monos dote on speedy impacts, and the 308, an excellent hunting choice, will not be breaking any speed records. You might even consider an Accubond.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.