Assuming you have a decent rifle and binoculars, keep your feet happy, eat enough calories, sleep warm and preferably dry.

The rest is fluff (makes the hunt more comfortable/ arguably better chance of success - but not necessarily "necessary" gear!)

I've only killed 6 sheep, plus been on a couple of no-show-hunts. Lots of good advice above, especially on gear. Of which I've had virtually none. But don't obsess about it. (Buncha puzzies..... :))

My first sheep hunt (40 years ago), for example, was solo, 18 miles back-pack in to the mountain (Kelty B-50 pack- I finally wore it out a few years ago, after replacing the back webbing and straps after that first sheep hunt - they kinda broke on the way out under that 180# est. load...!). For gear, I had a 10X10 plastic sheet, a closed-cell foam pad and 3 season down sleeping bag, 9 X 40? Swift binoculars - since stolen, 8 days minimal rations, a light jacket, rain gear, minimal first aid kit, a compass and map. The rifle was a Rem 700 in .243, wearing a B&L 4X scope, with 10 rounds of 100 gr. factory. 2 knives, game saw, cheeze cloth game bags (don't use them!). 2 days in, 2 days out, 4 days to hunt was the plan.

Killed my full-curl ram at 50 feet on the second day of the season, after having found them the day before, and made an unsuccessful stalk from above, as recommended from my readings. Having observed their pattern for most of the first day, I adjusted my strategy (breaking the rule) day 2 and made the stalk from below.... and they did the same thing.... smile The following two seasons in that valley were equally successful, slightly different spots, and stalk from above situational scenarious, ranges 35 yards and 50 yards. Years later, I got a spotting scope..... Of course, all I was and am interested in is "legal", not "book", trophy, etc. Binocs were good enough for that - up to mile and a half. On one subsequent hunt elsewhere, I took the 3rd best, but still legal ram at 50 yards, using binocs to judge by, 'cuz he needed to die...- i.e. culled from possible reproduction. He, and the first one, are the only ones I've had mounted (it was a superb hunt!). The hunt is the trophy, not the particular head for me. YMMV, and that's perfectly OK. The point is - be happy!

40 years after that first hunt, I'm saying listen to these guys above on the gear!!! It's come a long way since then - and far beyond my pocket book. That 3rd/4th leg is of huge advantage on rough ground, especially so with a load. I'm cheap, and use a 6' birch stick of my own manufacture on all my hunts, mt or flat. smile Obviously you have some bucks to spare, so get yourself a good 1,000 yard rangefinder - they are good on "non-reflective" animals to about half the distance - as far as you should be shooting. The actual (ARC ? ) gravitational feature should prove handy on up-hill/down-hill shots. (I've gotta get something better than the 400 max reflective distance one that I've got, myself)

Take the lighter Leupold Scope. GPS is fine, but map and compass is essential. I've had GPS let me down twice when needed- failed antanae, and a satellite changeover - and of course there are the batteries... SPOT or Sat phone is kinda superfolous if hunting with a guide - unless you need them.. and extra weight to carry. More important if hunting alone.

We humans/pre-humans have been killing animals for 3 million years or so, without all this techno-stuff. Man-up a bit!!! smile

And good luck!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.