When, I read Bristoe's comments yesterday, I WAS going to reply, but, given the obvious issues with his rant, I realized that serious historical discussion with him would be a waste of time.

JorgeI, you are, of course, correct, but, all one has to do is to look at the understanding between Sir Bernard and "Ike", to SEE what the latter REALLY understood about the reality of "The Battle of Normandy" and "Ike's" decision there to give "Monty" what he required very probably was THE crucial decision in our combined Allied victory and subsequent advance to Berlin.

I just, finally, got the third and last volume in Atkinson's "Liberation Trilogy" and it concerns the Euro. campaign from "Neptune" onward.....boy, what a horrific slaughter and of so many fine young men as well as innocent civilians.......

The enormous price in British, American,Canadian and other Allied lives seems forgotten by so many Euros, today and I honestly find their behaviour, the Dutch excepted, f**king revolting....next time, let them do it alone.