CZ American in 223 would be my first choice, but I probably prefer a lighter gun than most and I have other guns to shoot and if you don't, remember that barrel will heat up very quickly. Or if you don't care if you burn the throat out of a barrel in a few days of shooting, you can buy new takeoffs for ~$75 and have a gunsmith change them out for fairly cheap when you get home.

The CZ in 223 or 204 in varmint weight will give you substantially more range than 300 yards, either will work just fine. The 223 varmint weight guns have a faster twist than the American and in my opinion the 204 needs the barrel length of the varmint over the American.

Actually, I don't know where I stand on the CZ American in 204, mine does not give me the velocities I was looking for out of the shorter barrel on the American. Just because I haven't really warmed to it doesn't mean that it isn't something to look at. I have had it five years and don't use it enough to have a valid opinion. If you are interested in looking at that option, ask around. I think if I spent more time with it, and less out hunting it might just pan out to be as good as anything and better than most. But make sure you get valid opinions.

17 caliber rifles are not going to cut it in the wind on the high desert in Montana where I shoot prairie dogs. I have a 17 Rem and it is plenty accurate, but the wind will kill you. I shoot more rock chucks with it than prairie dogs for exactly that reason, although the wind blows up the coulees of central and eastern Washington too. The 17 is only going to be good for a few hours in the morning where I shoot, because that is the only time the wind is not blowing pretty stiff.

All of the above being said, a Howa is a good gun too if you are just getting going and want to stay with a relatively inexpensive gun to start out with. If you want to spend more, the options are almost endless. I don't care for Savage rifles, but a lot of people like them just fine.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07/14/13.