Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I just had some guy try to tell me how much better a Kahr sub compact 9mm is than a snub nosed .38 Special. First he tried to tell me the 9mm was "so much" more powerful. Then I explained when both are fired out of 3" barrels, expansion and penetration are pretty much the same. Then he said his Kahr holds 6 rounds, and I pointed out that Taurus makes a 6 shot snub, and there are always the Colts. Them he said its all about the reload time, but neither of us could think of an instance where a civilian was saved by a faster reload. I also pointed out my HKS speed loader is plenty fast. He was still convinced that his Kahr was more powerful and just "better". I'm happy he's confident in his choice, I think it's a good choice for a pocket gun. But a guy who knows how to effectively use his DA revolver isn't at any disadvantage.
What's a 9mm subcompact? I'm not sure there is such a thing unless it's the worthless Kel Tec. I certainly wouldn't call a Shield or a Kahr a subcompact.

I don't see much difference. In theory, the 38 Special case hold more and should be capable of higher velocities. Due to many factors, you simply never see this with the 9 outshining it almost always.

As to the size, I don't see much difference. I've always thought autos were more comfortable, but like the Charter Off Duty that was mentioned, there are some pretty small .38's.

I'd take a Colt Magnum Carry over either if power is needed and a M&P Compact if firepower is.