Gman,

I'm in North Wales, and I have to say despite the various horror stories I've read about in the different shooting magazines and on some of the British shooting forums, I've never had any serious with North Wales Police either.

If anything, with the move towards Police Forces using the ALQ Condition and the new simpler Home Office Guidance, its now getting better in some respects.

Re your friend and his .458win, I have heard of similar issues before although its usually been surrounding the holding of expanding ammo.

In fact when I was on a lease in Scotland, I gave one guy an open invitation to come up and use his .458win on deer so he could get the appropriate condition on his ticket..It raised a few eyebrows in Cheshire Police but they granted it to him..

When I was going to Africa I had the opposite "problem" in that I wanted a 9.3x62mm, and the then FLO at North Wales Police tried to convince me to get a .375H&H!

When I mentioned the Expanding Ammo situation, he said he'd be quite happy to put deer on my ticket and it was only when I explained I really did want the 9.3x62mm that he "relented"..

So while I am sure there are folks who have horror stories to tell, and the system can be a pain in the ass at times, on the whole, I am very happy with the way I have been treated..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 09/29/13.