Well...hell,John of course I'm sort of a curmudgeon. I'm 63 and I have earned it! grin

But the last three bucks I've killed, two of them were at app.340 and 330 yards and on one I could not get a reading with LRF because I was on my belly in knee-high buck brush and had to eyeball it;the other was hightailing it after a doe across a power line,and if I did not kill it before it reached the other side,it was "gone".(In both instances I got to read the distance AFTER I killed them because I couldn't do it before...circumstances did not allow.)

But I "knew" both were easily within PBR of the 270 and the Mashburn and considering circumstances I hit where I needed(wanted) to each time;one from prone over bins stuck in the dirt, and one wrapped in the sling from the sit.....so what was I supposed to do? frown grin

After you left the ranch I killed a 180-class buck spotted from a "long ways", north of the Freezeout; I crawled up there, jumped him off a bench and killed him first shot on the run at about 75 yards....we take what we can get sometimes and curmudgeon-hood was foisted on me and those were the cards I was dealt.

I don't claim to be the best rifle shot in the world,and don't have the skill sets of guys like you and Formidolosis but if I had not been a somewhat seasoned curmudgeon I might not have killed any of them wink smile

You know I don't have a thing in the world against dialing with a known scope and rifle,and consider it another "tool";and have said many times on here that my ability to practice regularly(something I believe in)...is limited to 600 yards and I would not dream of shooting at a live animal at a distance,or under circumstances I was not reasonably certain of killing it.I have walked away or passed on quite a few when it was questionable wink

You also know I was very impressed with your 264 and how you had it set up,as it is the only rifle I have ever shot that hit anything at 1200 yards! You can't make hits at those distances without dialing up and I recognize that all too well. smile

Thanks for your thoughts on this ...always appreciated. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.