Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I'm generally a dialer and that is because I've shot with and tested both dialing and holding.

From reading the replies it seems to be evident that none have extensively used both dialing for elevation and holding for elevation using a BDC reticle to gain an understanding of the various attributes and problems with both methods.

There are a few points that are relative to this discussion in no particular order-

[i]
Almost always the participants have little to no training or competitive background in long range field shooting.

They do not practice at long range very much

They do not use scopes that are repeatable and consistent in adjustment

They usually have not verified their rifles drop and scope and when they do it usually is at relatively large targets at even yardages (300, 400, 500, etc)

They usually don't test from field positions, prone/sitting/kneeling and improvised rests

They don't usually test when they are cold, out of breath, excited, tired, fatigued,

They generally don't practice long range shooting in high winds

And the big one: they claim that "holding" is faster than "dialing" even though they have never timed it.
[/i]

Put a shooter (any shooter) on a single 8 inch target at an odd yardage (say 471 yards, etc), in winds from 8-12 mph from an improvised uncomfortable shooting position, when they are tired, out of breath, can barely feel their fingers and it drizzling, and I guarantee you they will be faster to get a hit dialing for elevation/holding for wind than trying to judge the distance between two tick marks for elevation and holding out into space for wind.

Your sure making alot of assumptions and painting with a broad brush, no?

Last edited by BWalker; 10/06/13.