Starting with a picture of the target array

[Linked Image]

The two 8 inch lolli-poppers (one's broken) are at 390 yards.
Then a 3 inch circle and colt speed plate at 400.
Behind and to the right is a 12 and 4 inch plate at 440 yards, as well as a rectangle.
Behind and to the left of them is a 6 inch circle at 462 yards.
And the farthest targets are a 12 and 4 inch square at 475 yards.

The drill was simple- starting with loaded rifle and rangefinder in hand, on the buzzer drop down either prone or kneeling on a barricade and fire one shot alternating holding both elevation and windage, and dialing for elevation and holding wind. Record the time and whether it was a hit or not. Data for the gun was well known and the wind was variable from almost no correction to 1.1 mils of hold.

Remember that the starting position was the same for each shot, the rangefinder was used for each shot, the turret was reset to "0" and the magnification was turned down to start each shot. The same gun and scope was used for every shot.

Results-

[Linked Image]

Overall, as has been the same every time we do it given the same skill level between dialing and holding, dialing was both faster and more accurate. Now I will state that the time difference was almost a non-factor. There were fifteen shots taken with each method and the average time was less than a second faster for dialing. I did miss two more targets holding than I did for dialing and that is to be expected.

Love the theory of the- "5 seconds or he's gone" scenarios.