Originally Posted by KJ_Garrison
Hi guys. Maybe this should be a new topic, but since my rifle is a 260 rem, I'll at least start here.

I notice that in this forum (which admittedly I have not read in it's entirety) and other handloading/reloading sites it is common for loads to exceed the "maximum" posted loads in the manuals by A LOT.

Has everybody REALLY started out at the manuals' starting loads and cautiously increased the load fractions of grains at a time up to, and beyond, the published maximums?

In a time where ALL the components are in short supply, is there a SAFE way to "get there" sooner? Or at least to get close to "there" so that the resources can be used more efficiently?

I see all kinds of guidance. Anything from starting at the minimum published load to starting a 90% - 95% of the published max load. I know, the min load is usually ~90% of the max load, but using 95% would save half the bullets, primers and powder.

And when I see that virtually everybody is using loads that are significantly above the published max loads, I wonder about trying 90% or 95% of these supermax loads.

I have a chrono and wonder if I shouldn't just make the jumps on powder charge based on how close to a targeted MV.

I also have learned that the best charge has to be found by testing on each and every gun, and I wonder about what range of velocities or range of powder charge less than supermax or maybe even published max I should do my ladder at.

I saw a post someplace that said to use a chrono and get up to 2775 - 2825; then fine tune.

My rifle is a Savage M12 LRP.

Every rifle is different ESPECIALLY to how it reacts to loading. If your ONLY goal is to save money, then bite the bullet and shoot factory. Otherwise heed the advice of others and follow your manuals. BTW, I've been loading since 1973 or 4. I ALWAYS start at the suggested starting load and increase at 1/2 grain increments till I find the sweet spot. I NEVER exceed the maximum. In fact, MOST of my loads are no where near the maximums listed in any of my manuals. DO NOT CUT CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5