I think the .444 is better off with 300 grain or heavier bullets, if twist supports it. That will allow use on the largest game. I can't see boring a huge hole in a barrel and then using a bullet with poor sectional density.

It loses performance rapidly, compared to the .348, when you start getting on out there, but so does the .45-70. The .348 relatively flat shooting compared to the other two.

Yes, the .45-70 is a handful with 400+ grain bullet in the high teens! And it will smash bones with aplomb. I still have a rifle in this caliber and use it every year, but only for deer, and black bear if the opportunity arises.

I have owned and taken game with all three, and I don't see one iota of difference in terminal performance with similar bullets on deer, black bear, or pig, and would hunt big bear with all three, given appropriate bullets.

Basically, I like both the .444 and the .45-70, and when someone mentioned the .348, I felt like I got that dreamy look in my eyes remembering it......and wonder why in the hell did I sell it?