Originally Posted by dmsbandit
....... I have NEVER heard of 3000fps with a 150gr 270 bullet....

I have.. smile My rifle actually,and a 23" Douglas barrel with 58.5 gr H4831....nothing bad happened.

And 3200 fps with the Barnes max load of RL25 with a 130 gr Barnes bullet. I don't operate at those velocities but I have seen them more than once.

I would wager a small sum that many match shooters routinely push cartridges harder than most hunters,judging from the number of blown primers I hear talk about from the guys at my range during summertime matches. smile

As to the higher SD,the 175 7mm at 310 ranks among the highest SD's in the Nosler line and I saw nothing in 6.5 that comes close in the Nosler lineup...even the 140.Maybe some of the roundnose 6.5's of 156-160 gr will do it..

Near as I can tell, only the 220 gr 30 cal,the 250-338,and the 400 gr-416 exceed the 7mm 175 in the Nosler lineup.

Not this matters a whole bunch since bullet construction blows holes in most SD numbers in the real world;omce it htis games animals those SD numbes go to hell in a hand basket unless construction is good....and if you match good construction with high SD,you have a good penetrator ; but if you mix high SD with shidty bullet construction all you have is a long bullet.

Trying to persuasively argue that a 6.5 cartridge of comparable capacity,shooting roughly equal bullets,is some how a better game killer than a .277 or .284 is gonna cause me to yawn and walk away. I don't believe it.Sophistry.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.