I've gone to all leather goretex boots now from Cabelas, Basspro, etc but like your Elk hunters they are slow to break in and 10 miles doesn't usually do it. I start about 6 months before wearing them around the house and then working in the yard, then short hunts until they are broken in. Usually they aren't perfect until the 2nd season. My experience with lighter weight and cordura boots has been that they leak pretty quickly while the leather boots last. The guys I know who use Danners for elk hunting have no complaints and that includes several guys 20 years younger than me who will put in almost double the miles I will in a week.

Chasing elk I will typically drag my pudgy over 50 carcass over 6-10 miles in a day starting with a 1,000 foot climb and hopefully ending with an 80 + lb. pack coming out. I like a little stiffer boot with 800 grams of insulation for the 5 degree days. I have found that gaiters are helpful in the snow even with waterproof boots.

I'd like to give you opinions on the Kenetreks and similar but they are a little more than I am willing to spend. Getting to that last 1 or 2% of top gear in optics, rifles, packs, boots or almost anything is more cost than benefit usually. I like bang for the buck - if money is no object get the very best - particularly in durable gear like rifles and optics. In your shoes or boots I'd stick with Danners you already know work for you and go with at least 600 grams or higher.