Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I bought Danner Elk hunters MANY years ago before Goretex came out. They were sturdy, to say the least. However, at that time, they were sewn with a seam up the back of the heel, from top to bottom. That dang seam ate up socks and caused blisters like crazy. I took them to a shoe shop and had them sew a piece of thin leather over the seam and that helped a lot. Of course you'd ruin Goretex that way. These weren't waterproof at all, at least no more than any leather boot of the time. They lasted through 2 pairs of soles and really weren't in that bad of shape when Goretex hit the market.

I've got a couple pairs of Danner Pronghorns and have the same complaint about the vertical seam in the lining next to your heel, what a piss poor design. I finally sprung for a pair of the Meindl Denali boots from Cabela's last year, by far the best boots I've ever owned. I like them with good socks down to around 20F or so, when it gets close to 0F I want a bit of insulation. My next pair of boots will be another pair of Meindl's.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...