Model70man,

Having hunted elk myself for many years, in WY, CO, and MT, I can well understand your situation. An elk is an enormous animal once you have it on the ground. If you are not in at least fair shape, it may simply be too much to even consider handling it by yourself. Particularly if you happen to kill the elk a good ways from the road, which is often the case.

Backpacking an elk out is a pretty good job, even on a good day. I find it pretty much takes a minimum of 4 backpack loads to get the elk meat out, not counting the head and hide. Younger, stronger guys might could do it in fewer trips. But a large adult bull is a big job. And all of that assumes that you know how to take an elk apart with a knife and can handle the repeated trips.

At a minimum you need a buddy to help with the work. A horse would be even better. And a guide with horses would be best of all. Unless of course you are hunting somewhere that you can reach with a vehicle, which has not been my experience.

It is also hard to locate elk, unless you are lucky or well experienced. Many hard hunting days find no elk at all, or no elk that you wish to pursue.

Given the above, along with your age and condition, recommendations for a good outfitter seem a wise choice. If it is really important to you to get a good bull, an outfitter is almost a must. You live too far away to scout the country yourself, and this might be your last elk hunt.

Grit your teeth, and do what you have to do to make it happen.

Elk hunting is worth what it takes!

Best of luck to you.

WyoM70