Originally Posted by model70man
All. I have 16 preference points in Colorado. I have hunted unit 80 near Alamosa two times and it was just a camping trip.

I am 65 years old, not in the best shape but I have seen worse. 210 poounds, 5 ft 10 inches.

Any advice on which unit to apply for? I am not wealthy so is there any cheap way to do this as far as using a guide, etc?

I cannot physically handle an elk by myself if I was fortunate enough to get one. Would you know of any locals who guide on the side?

I know I'm asking a lot but this will be my last hurrah.

Thanks...Bill.

Bill -

Coming from low altitude at your age and then trying to get an elk out - well, someone may have to pack you out as well. Just being realistic.

That said, it is possible to find elk close to the road on public land, at relatively low altitude, and do so without burning any Preference Points. Cows, of course, are much easier. In 2011 my drag was under 300 yards (quartered up using a cart) and last fall I (stupidly) passed on a shot that would have been under 100 yards at the same place. (Had my eye on a bull and passed on a cow. Ended up with a cow at 1100 yards. Stupid.) In the two years I've hunted there I've literally seen hundreds of elk and passed on more shot opportunities than I can recall. Another spot I've hunted is similar, The problem with the place is the elk are seasonal - if the migration is on you're good, if not you'll be looking at a lot of empty space.

The guys that recommend a guide are, IMHO, right on. You need help with the animal and they can help locating them as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.