Originally Posted by cra1948
Not to hijack the thread, but maybe a few words on torque specs would be appropriate:

Torque specifications aren't set to protect the parts being held together from excessive compression. Torque specs are designed to prevent exceeding the elastic limit of the material the threaded fasteners are made of. It's the elasticity in the steel of the screws, bolts, lugs, whatever, that provides the tension that keeps things tight. If, by over torqueing, you apply sufficient tensile stress to exceed the elastic limit of the fastener material (not hard to do if you calculate the mechanical advantage derived from screw threads) there is nothing to hold the fastener tight except friction.

In most cases, yes I would agree. I ran a high-performance automotive shop for 8 years, so I'm no stranger to torque specs and their application, but I would add that torque specs are set to prevent damage to the weakest link in a given system. This is why you see different torque specs for different stock types, to prevent compression or damage of the BM/stock material. Having worked with enough screws similar is thread size and length to the action screws on the T3, I can tell you that 4.5 ft-lbs is nowhere near the limits of the fasteners' elasticity. A similar screw would commonly see 18 ft-lbs in many automotive applications.

I've seen wheel lugs, axle flange bolts, transmission mounts, etc, and yes even rifle action screws work loose over time, even when torqued to factory spec. So John is right that I do have some pre-conceived ideas about torque specs. wink

Regarding that aluminum recoil lug, I've seen it get indented and permanently compressed in spots from use in a .25-06, let alone the much harder recoiling cartridges. They typically shoot lights out, but that recoil lug is a wear item, and being made of steel would inspire a bit more confidence.