To keep with the economy car analogy...
My oldest, in his early/mid 40's, looks like he finally grown up at least a little. Told me yesterday the Ford CMax gas/electric Hybrid commuter car he recently bought is getting 161 MPG on his 48 mile round trip to work....over the last 2000 miles.

His employer has a pair of generic charging station on site, and he plugs the car in at home overnite. Sez he has spent about $60 in gasoline to drive that 2000 miles, plus of course the nominal electricity expense. His last lease car trade in was a 2012 V6 Mustang that got about 20-22mpg in North Dallas traffic and cost him about $200 a month in gas driving in North Dallas stop & go traffic. So $15 bux a month or $200 bux a month in fuel is looking real good to me. But I ain't moving back to town and fight North Dallas traffic everyday for love or money.

I put $60 in the '10 Crew Cab and got 3/4's a tank Saturday that'll last me mebbe 7-10 days and the 37 month old truck only has 22k on the clock... so I ain't exactly wearing it out in retirement.

How does that relate to the OP's ???'s ...Everything relates to usage and real life NEEDS and not ego or peer driven desires.

I've dropped, or am dropping all of my bigger calibers, except for a lone 300WSM Fwt that might go away too if I can find/rechamber a 280AI, and have begun to concentrate on 6.5's & 270's over the last 10 years, and not missed killing anything with the mid bore's and under 150gr bullets. My bud's keep yelling at me to get a 243 or a .25 cal something, promising me that they'll kill 300lb hogs & other bigger stuff reliably DRT out to past my self imposed 3-350 yards....umm I ain't ready to go THAT far yet....but could trust a 7x57 or 7-08 and run 120gr TTSX's & NBT's hard to take care of a 300lb porkers bidnizz.
Lots of choices NOW days in more comfortable shooters that were not available in the late '60s when I started this journey. JMHO & YMMV
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.