CFVA has the correct perspective. Both on the personal preference aspect of rifles and on the Prius. I do think some of the seeming growth in the use of smaller cartridges may be due to bullet performance but that would mean using those bullets on hunts not just at the range. Once I make up my mind as to what is adequate for certain game it would be a poor second-guess to risk a hunt on something in which I did not have 1000% confidence. Some leanings toward smaller may be due to availability/expediture of powder. In my case, while my .338 WM is my #2 all-time game-getter I only use it rarely now as I do not hunt game in that size class. The .375 H & H gets spoon fed .375 Win recipes just so I can keep the dust out of the barrel. I know that .243/6mm, 7-08, 6.5 X 55, .25-06, .308, 7 X 57 and even the old relic .30-30 will kill deer and pronghorns as far as I can confidently shoot depending on the area. Besides, it's a lot more fun going to the range and making noise, shooting well and still being able to focus and raise my arms when I leave the range. Jm2cts

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**