Like Coyote Hunter said, he could have made his longest shot with a .308. I did make my longest two shots with a .308 and the fourth longest with a .300 Savage. (Windage and elevation.)

There was a period of about 25-30 years when I had at least one .338WM of some sort. Recoil was not the issue and it still is not as, unlike many senior citizens, my shoulders are still intact. (Knees, not so much). Experience has taught me that I do not like the additional weight of factory magnums, and they are not needed. Other than three or four long shots, I could have killed every white tail and mule deer that I have taken with a .30-30.

Nine to ten pound guns are no longer fun, so except for a std pre war M70 .270 with family ties, most of the heavies and all of those chambered for magnums are gone. Yes, I know magnums can be built lighter. Once had a barely 7# .338. It was fine stoked with 210NP, but full boat 250 did get my attention.

To each his own,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 04/01/14.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero