I shoot three different 22-250 AI's. One is a factory varmint contour barrel re-chambered to the AI version after several hundred rounds. The other two are fast twist versions with one in a sporter contour in 1 in 8 twist and the other a varmint contour barrel that was a cheap take off formerly chambered in .223 which now is a 22-250 AI twisted at about 1 in 7.75". All shoot very well and there is no issue with shooting either factory or reloaded 22-250 ammo in the AI versions if the chamber is properly cut. All of mine have been cut by Jim Kobe who posts here as Jkob. I do not push the velocity to the max and have many loadings on my brass with out trimming or problems with primer pockets. Accuracy while fire-forming either factory or reloaded ammo has been excellent in my rifles. Shooting similar pressure loadings in both factory and AI versions gets about 100 fps greater velocity in my rifles based on my chronograph. Primary reason to AI is for increased interval between trimming IMO. Fast twist still works well with 50 -55 grain bullets for me. I have not tried 40 grain bullets in the faster twists but have had excellent results with 75 to 90 grain bullets with the fast twists. Don't think there are many downsides to the AI versions but do not know about the very lightest weight bullets.