Originally Posted by Dude270
I own 3 22-250s with 1 in 12 twists and have always planned on doing a fast twist barrel chambered for the AI version whenever one needed a new barrel but now I have the itch to just punch out one of my 1 in 12s for the AI. I would like to hear the pros and cons of the AI from people who have been there, is the velocity gain and brass life worth the effort of fireforming brass and essentially loading for for two different rounds?
thanks for the input

Sure it's worth it. Velocity gain in real terms - actual working accuracy loads and not reloading manual numbers - will be 200 to 300fps depending. Fireforming is no "effort", just find the most accurate load and go kill stuff.....that load will be considerably faster than a std 22-250. You'll obviously be using more powder. And the barrel will have the same accuracy as before, only faster. One thing though, the barrel will need to be set back at least enough to cut a new throat and neck, and also remove all the std chamber taper right to the web. The 12 twist is fine unless you want to shoot real heavy bullets.