I was born in 1951.

My mom's father was a wildcatter and worked in the oil fields.

What's the old saying " don't tell my mom I work in the oil patch, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.

In fact the "Daisy B" of Spindletop fame is named after Daisy Bradford IIRC.

Well WR would come see us now an then and stay for a week. He was a unfiltered Chesterfield guy.

I think I was six the first time my mom busted me an my brother (who was 4 at the time) hiding out in the garage and trying to light his Chesterfields we had light-fingered, along with his Zippo.

Course we got our azz busted.

I've loved the smell of Ronson lighter fluid in a Zippo since I was a wee tyke. Still do.

[Linked Image]

So here is a story about a $1300 Zippo Lighter.

I've had the pleasure of hunting in several states and here in Texas in numerous locals. It's kinda fun of an evening, sitting around a campfire, after dinner and everyone is starting to get "lubricated" to tell this story.

I'll pull out my Zippo and ask if they've ever seen a $1300 Zippo. Someone will invariably ask to fondle my Zippo and when they do they say. Bullspit, no way that cost $1,300.

I proceed to tell them that I have rental trailers. I had rented a trailer to this guy for $650 per month and let him get out two months without paying rent. When he took off, he stole the refrigerator, the stove, the hot water heater and even rolled up the 7 year old used carpet, and took it also.
The only thing left of value in the trailer was a Zippo lighter. I then inquire. Wouldn't you say this is a $1,300 ligher. This happened around 2002. I have kept it till this day.
Never fails to get a chuckle.

[Linked Image]

I do luv me some Zippos.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/14/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.