WOW, this has been a VERY informative thread to me as well as the OP. Many more options for lighting up a non rail 1911 than I had imagined.

I am guessing that there are many, many folks who are like me in that they really like the 1911 they have, don't want to try another one, (my RIA Tac 10 is a 1 inch at 25 yards shooter and with its ramped barrel etc. handles my stout handloads easily) but want to light things up a bit. Make a very nice gun more universally useful and easier to hit with in low light.

I just thought of another idea. There used to be a few companies who made a grip which had as a part of it an extension, a raised platform with a picatinny rail that rode just above the slide of the pistol, but since it was atatched to the grip frame, it was not battered to pieces (nor the scope or light atop it) by the slide banging around on each and every shot.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500