Elkhunter, I have a law enforcement pal up in NC or TENN that comes to GA and spends a few days with Mr Robert Gradous building Tact type guns. Long story short he was able to buy ( for dam near nothing) a mint Varminter in .243 with a 15X Unertl scope from a family friend who was old and had cancer, the guy had bought the rig new ,took it to his farm in upstate NY and shot a few groundhogs, he ended up selling the farm and the gun sat in the corner for 50 years collecting cigarette smoke, the gun cleaned up mint! I have been dickering with this guy for about two years and I will end up giving him whatever it takes as the rig is that nice and he is into the tactical deal. When and if I do I will let you have mine.
Mr Gradous, builds one of the finest most accurate guns in the United States, bar none. I shot one he built in .308 and the thing was sooo accurate that it was absolutely boring.Check him out, If I ever catch up on the Winchesters I will have him build a .308 on a .243 action using a cut rifled Bartlien barrel in Winchesters target, med heavy contour.
http://www.gradousrifles.com/
very best WinPoor