Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Elkhunter, I have a law enforcement pal up in NC or TENN that comes to GA and spends a few days with Mr Robert Gradous building Tact type guns. Long story short he was able to buy ( for dam near nothing) a mint Varminter in .243 with a 15X Unertl scope from a family friend who was old and had cancer, the guy had bought the rig new ,took it to his farm in upstate NY and shot a few groundhogs, he ended up selling the farm and the gun sat in the corner for 50 years collecting cigarette smoke, the gun cleaned up mint! I have been dickering with this guy for about two years and I will end up giving him whatever it takes as the rig is that nice and he is into the tactical deal. When and if I do I will let you have mine.
Mr Gradous, builds one of the finest most accurate guns in the United States, bar none. I shot one he built in .308 and the thing was sooo accurate that it was absolutely boring.Check him out, If I ever catch up on the Winchesters I will have him build a .308 on a .243 action using a cut rifled Bartlien barrel in Winchesters target, med heavy contour.
http://www.gradousrifles.com/
very best WinPoor

THANKS Winchesterpoor! cool

In 2010-2011 at a local gunshow there was a Pre '64 Winchester M 70 .220 Swift for the price of $700. The rifle was used and it showed. IIRC it was a standard Swift as the barrel was not the Varmint/Target style. I tried to wheel & deal with him but as it goes sometimes,we could not close the deal. Still hope to see that one and just BEG the wife to let me buy it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken