Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They've never said why warming is bad anyway. In the past, the world has been a lot warmer than it is today. The biggest problem is the distribution of fresh water. In the east they've got it. In the west we want it.
It all depends on how warm. If were talking more than 5 degrees, I don't think it takes a scientist to figure out how it's bad; you ought to be able to figure that one out yourself.

I don't doubt global warming; I think it's well established.

And while I don't think humanity is helping matters, I'm not convinced we're the cause. All the evidence suggests that warming and cooling are cyclical and it's really not all that uncommon. The worry is that we will warm and then not cool again. But I see no evidence that is the case, because there is some evidence we're in the beginnings of a cooling trend.

The problem with this whole global warming and cooling thing is...buy the time you can solidly peg that one or the other has happened, it's probably over.

And the dumb ones can't seem to discern the difference between weather (as in specific events) and climate (the long term trend). Pundits on both sides will take any single weather event and peg it to "global warming"; which just shows their ignorance.

Reducing our impact on the environment is just a good idea and we've had HUGE successes. Look at the air quality of Los Angeles now vs. the 1970's; night and day. They don't have smog drills and school isn't canceled due to smog anymore, and the number of cars on the road as easily doubled in that time. Everyone likes to breathe clean air.

I think the US is doing a decent job of managing things and balancing environmental issues with economic issues.