It doesn't take much effort to turn a trocar tip or any of the other secondary tips into a cutting type of tip. I'm not sure what has happened to Muzzy over the years but when they first released their heads, the replaceable trocar tip was ground to a very smooth finish. Today, the tips are very rough and jagged.

Here is the tip from a new Muzzy MX-3. You can see how rough it is.

[Linked Image]

Here is the tip from a 100 Grain Muzzy I bought last year. The only difference is that I honed the leading edges of this tip on a whetstone.

[Linked Image]

Here is a still of the peak force moment of the rough Muzzy tip. It breaks through the material at 4.5 Lbs. Note* I removed the blades from the head so I could focus on the tip itself.

[Linked Image]

Here is the honed Muzzy tip. It went through at 2.5 Lbs. It took almost twice the effort for the rough tip to go through the material. Muzzy users that use slower or lower poundage bows would benefit from homing the trocar tip.

[Linked Image]

Here is the rough tip video.

[Linked Image]

And the honed tip video.

[Linked Image]

The same can be said of the original slick trick tip. A few light strokes on a whetstone reduced the effort to penetrate the material from 4.5 Lbs to 3.5 Lbs. In either case, honing the tip adds to the penetrating ability without sacrificing the bone busting feature of the tip. It also removed no measurable weight from the tip.