Good stuff there DIY

You mention a few conclusions that I would have a tangential disagreement with...for example you used KE as a factor.

I've seen arrows with appx the same KE, shot from the same bow a 430gr arrow and an 840gr arrow, and the 430 gr arrow failed miserably on penetrating a dead water buffalo.

i've seen the same outcomes but to a lesser degree with heavy animals like elk- the heavy arrow outperforms from the same bow. So what does KE have to do with how well the arrow performs?

KE is only good for comparing the potential energy in various bows IMO

I've shot COC heads for many years- mostly Snuffer ss and hellrazor. I've blown through elk scapulas with these heads and never found the arrow on the other side they blow through so easily[495gr axis]

I think, One of the main factors in BH selection is design. The shorter heads with less taper put a lot of blade compressed against the hide before entering- not good to have a dull head doing your dirty work. I've had this happen with the ST mag heads on elk and hogs that were wallowing-put that in your drill jig and I bet the scale couldn't handle it.

I bet its the same reason we see more failures on animals while using the over the top mech heads- blades compressed against hair/ hide. Anyone that has ever dulled a knife blade that way gets it- and quick- with those slim thin bevel replaceable blades

Last edited by B_Lance; 07/24/14.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter