Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Hawkeye:

How would you propose society deal with the drug problem? Genuinely curious as to your solution.

Jordan
There are inherent problems associated with liberty. One is that folks will make bad choices for themselves. What's worse, though, is making those bad choices illegal, unless that bad choice is directly to violate the rights of another. If it's primarily something you're doing to yourself, then trying to outlaw it only creates a huge criminal market for it, and a huge criminal culture to fill that market. Along with that comes lots of money in the hands of criminals with which to corrupt our police, government, and ultimately our society.

The "solution," therefore, is to repeal all Federal laws that seek to outlaw victimless crimes (none of which are authorized under our Constitution anyway). If states wish to pass or retain such laws, that's less harmful in both the short and long runs, because in the short run folks can move to states that have laws more to their liking, and it's good in the long run because states with ill considered laws will suffer their consequences, thus providing a natural pressure to eliminate bad laws and imitate successful states.

But how will this make things better? Everything I've seen and read says drug consumption and addiction (with all its attendant problems and negative externalities) will go way, way up. Are you sure your proposed "solution" won't make the problem worse?

Last edited by RobJordan; 05/17/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.