Originally Posted by RickyD
Look what happened when we legalized alcohol.
Really? I believe the more appropriate look-back is what occurred as a result of prohibition.

You can't save people from themselves, but neither can you prevent horrific and spiraling unintended consequences when the government extends itself in an attempt of doing exactly that.

As you are a part of the government, particularly in enforcement, I'd have to respectfully conclude you are too close to the problem, which is government, to recognize the solution, which is certainly neither the status quo or more laws.

My biases are only relevant if you can first demonstrate where my analysis is wrong. I don't have a problem with de-criminalization per se, but here is what is going to happen: in addition to increased consumption, increased taxation to pay for treatment; increased welfare and other social costs to compensate for the increased negative externalities. Government won't get smaller: it will increase to deal with the increased negative externalities. I believe I am the one here who proposed that if we decriminalize, we must also cut-off all social and welfare benefits to users, otherwise, the tax payer is subsidizing their addiction (their use to the point where they are useless for employment and such). Problem is, that won't happen: decriminalization will be accompanied by taxes for treatment and interdiction, education and more welfare for the drug-addled dope heads who "can't work" because the dope made them "disabled".

Mark my words. That is exactly how it will play out.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.