A recent discussion brought something to my attention that I've read about before. Specifically, that a too tight magazine box can bind the action and cause inaccuracy in a rifle.

I grabbed my Ruger M77 Mk. II, popped open the floorplate, and checked the magazine. There is no play at all in the magazine box with the floorplate open. Would it be advantageous for me to mill down the magazine box a bit to give it a little play? Could modding the magazine box in this way affect the rifles current performance negatively?

I'm not unhappy with it's current performance, even though it has room for improvement. This rifle isn't the "internet typical" less than MOA all day long (if I do my part) that is so often claimed, but it's current performance is good enough for hunting.

Given factory ammo that it doesn't like it can turn out 2-2.5" groups (5 shots). With factory ammo that it favors it will turn out < 1.5" groups (5 shots). With good handloads it will turn out 1-1.25" groups (5 shots). And with it's few favorite handloads it will turn out groups in the .5's to .8's (mostly 3 shot groups).

Would it be worth my time to mill a bit off the mag box to give it some play or should I just leave well enough alone?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear