Me: A 57 year-old high school teacher from San Antonio TX attempting a "bucket list" item AND to become all-time "Coolest Uncle" to my many nephews and nieces in New York State.

The title snippet of wisdom, along with "Without change, nothings different" quoted by my Vietnam Vet x-USMC cousins when I was fresh off the boat from the Peace Corps and we was building their house in Vermont thirty years back grin

Preparation for this trip started back in August 2013, when I took down my old '89 Schwinn Voyageur after more or less 24 years of nearly continuous hanging on the garage wall (it was given to me be a dear friend just as moutain bike were coming in big). Thought it was horrible at first, the pedals about killed my right knee, until I thought to switch the old cage pedal out with plain ol' wide platform pedals... et voila! Different bike!!!

Back in August '13 a 10 mile commute into work was a long way for me, OTOH January of '14 was the first time I put in a 108 miles in a day. Here are the best pics I have of the bike in it nearly original form (except for the pedals) with the addition of a racktime (??) rear rack, Nashbar front rack (lightweight junk, since replaced w/ a heavier Bontrager unit) and Ortleib bags. Photos taken about mile 70 (in front of the Alamo natch....)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At the time I didn't know enough to know that you just dont ride 25 year-old hubs, bottom bracket and headset that ain't been greased in that long. Predictably, all those componets got trashed in what were becoming 100 mile commuting weeks and frequent 50 and 60 milers on weekends.

Soo.... while the frame remains, everything else is different. Here's the bike in present form....

[Linked Image]

700c wheels built to order by Universal Cycles, Mavic A714 (??) rims, 17 ga db spokes, Shimano 105 (??) hubs (aint got the bike with me just now, will edit later). 32mm Conti Gatorskin front, 32mm Gator Hardshell rear (they were both supposed to be Hardshells, but one got taken out last week in spectacular fashion through tread and sidewall by a 2" nail).

Cheap Wellgo platform pedals replaced with $50 sealed bearing set of platforms from Nashbar.

Nashbar 22/33/44 chainring set w/sealed bottom bracket, Scram 850 chain, 11 - 32 8 speed (due to chainstay shape I can only use 7 speeds, dont have much use for that little 11 tooth sprocket anyway). Still using original downtube friction shifters and derailieurs.

Trekking bar covered with foam grip and w/ Ergon grips at end. TWO el-cheapo mirrors from Wal Mart (I love 'em). Recycled rubber bar bag from REI. Chris King headset. Brooks B-17 saddle.

My attire:......

Down here at 29 deg. N latitide the sun is like seven degrees off of vertical at noontime. So I'm gonna dress like a roofer (ie. cover everything possible from the sun)....

Broad-brimmed hat, with or without helmet, dependent upon heat and comfort therein....

[Linked Image]

Half-finger cycling gloves, Magellan nylon fishing shirts, oversized and left out of pants. Cotton t-shirts underneath have since been dispensed with. Long REI light nylon "adventure" pants (or some such) tucked into ordinary cotton dress socks. I was wearing nylon boxers too but am finding that part expendable. Just the pant are cooler.

No padded shorts but I'm bringing a couple of pairs just in case.

Biggest departure from the norm is my footwear.. el cheapo slip on sandals...

[Linked Image]

I find these are cool in the heat, wear well in this application, and in conjunction with the broad platform pedals allow me to move my feet freely around to alleviate knee pain.

Departure time... tomorrow morning 6/17/2014. It was supposed to be a week ago but it is amazing all the things that turn up needing to be done befire one takes off for 6 to 10 weeks. Plus there was that whole Spurs championship thing....

Goal... distance be durned.... this will be all about hours in the saddle. I hope to put in 50 hours a week for four weeks.... and then take it from there. Speed is no concern, as long as the wheels are rolling, I'm getting there.

I also want to avoid hotels/motels and much as possible, campground preferred if available, carefully-chosen overnight spot if not as long as that can be done w/out trespassing.

Potential problems... besides the usual getting run over, bit by dogs etc etc etc....

THE HEAT (no, not Miami). I can ride in 100 decree heat and full sun, but slowly, and I've never tried to do it all day long, day after day.

My right knee, or rather the ligaments around it. At present I'm hobbling after long sessions of yard work/brush cuttings and pilings the last few days. So far these frequent sorts of leg/knee pain haven't tranlated to or been brought on by pedalling. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

I'm bringing a little notebook computer, hope to get online each day or two at a McDonalds somewhere to update here.

I have no idea how far I'll get, just that I'm gonna give it at least a month, and take it from there.

I'll get on here when I can.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744