Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Believe it or not the 480 is able to push a 400 gr 1200 fps burning slightly less powder than the 44 uses to push a 300 gr 1300 fps, and IMHO the recoil levels are really on par with each other. Some day on your way through town we'll have to plan a range session so you can try the 480 out.

The reason I like the 480 is I had the opportunity to shoot several 454's, 475's and 500's and I personally cannot handle that level of recoil in a revolver and accurately place my shots. With the 480 I found a round that is IMHO a step up on terminal performance from the 44, but not past my recoil threshold.

+1

Stepping on the 320s in my 45 BH or running 420s in the abbreviated (5") SRH I have are not much different. The 480 has always been an overlooked cartridge IMO. While chunking 300-320s in a 44 or 45 is probably plenty enough and has been adequate a time or two for preventing an untimely demise, I much like the security of the bigger, fatter 480 bullets.

In regard to the initial query, I wouldn't even bother looking at the 10 and the 454 has never held any interest for me though it would undoubtedly be quite effective if one could really master it. However, like the 30-06 is plain and boring, the 44 Mag is easily the best choice of the three when it comes of heavy handgun needs.

Originally Posted by atvalaska
Hornady 265 ...shoot a 55 gal drum ...the jacket always comes off and lands in front of the barrel ...even with the new /updated ones ("new ones" where they put a second crimp on the bullet to help it stay together )

Compare a 17 Rem with 25 HPs and a 45-70 with 535 cast against 1/4" steel plate and see if shooting steel really works as a bear bullet analyzer. crazy (Not saying there aren't better 44 bullets than the 265 Hornady though.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/26/14.