Me and the M9 have always gotten along. I own a Berreta 96 and like it well. I have buddies in my unit that are far more "experienced" than I and they don't hate the M9 and they have literally 100k+ rounds through them. By their account, failures were remedied when the blocks were modified and replaced years back. Magazines of course can be culprits if they are the really cheap version of yester-years. I'd go back to theater with an M9 and not be worried about my sidearm. I'd be sure to have berreta factory mags though, as an extra measure of insurance.

As stated by many, just upgrading to modern defense ammunition like the Gold Dot or Federal HST would be the most cost effective "solution."

I don't believe we will go away from the 9mm. If we were to change the pistol I sure like XDm's capacity and ergo's. But I seem to be in the minority on that. I have owned an XD40 sub for a long time now and it's money. I will have an XDm someday. M&P's ergos feel great to me, but haven't shot them. Glock's ergos just don't fit me and they feel terribly awkward in my hands. But they would be a fine choice for a combat pistol and I could train into comfort with them.

Oh and I wouldn't want to go to combat without a sidearm. For many many situations and reasons.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine