Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Mine too.

My double taps and controlled pairs are much tighter with a .45 or 9mm over the .40. After having trained one or two shooters in the last couple decades, I have yet to see one who shot a .40 best..

Flave, Crimson Tide, and Mac all agree with me... Better buy a lottery ticket!!

40 S&W is still the most popular police caliber in the upper Midwest, but almost nobody uses anything less than 180 gr ammo. Folks in the cold North wear a lot of clothes and they tend to run on the fat side. You need heavier bullets with more momentum to reach the good stuff.

FWIW, my modest instructional experience over the past 15 years or so mirrors Mackay's. This is especially true in IDPA and IPSC shooter classes. The 40 is a snappier round than either 9mm or 45 , which slows you down and degrades accuracy. And when we're talking competition, fractions of a second are very clearly noticeable.

I carried a Glock 23 as my off-duty/CCW pistol for 8-9 years, and I liked it a lot. I shot it in IDPA matches more than a few times. I shot 3-4 matches with my G23 and G19 in tandem, and every time the G19 scored better. Not by much, but enough to make a difference in my match placement.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars