If you are looking at a 416 and are asking for input, my two cents:

I'm partial to the 416 Remington, and prefer a worked over short barrel M70 Classic. But, if I didn't have so much 416 Rem stuff piled up as I do, and was starting from scratch with an out the box rifle, I'd likely go the factory M77 route if in need of a hard use 416. Big bang for the buck! It would never be a high-pinky refined rifle, but it fits the bill for a rough duty workhorse. So for the dollars spent, the M77 would be a good choice if you want a reliable 416 out the box.

Reality though, we likely do not need a 416 for anything. I personally enjoy a non-magnum 9.3x62 so much, that even if I were off tomorrow to shoot cape buffalo, I'd likely leave my 416 behind and take my 9.3 instead. I'm keeping my 416, but if it were gone, I doubt I'd replace it with another. I'd prefer to spend that money for more trigger time on the 9.3 and more trips to shoot big and large game. But, even that is a want and not a need. So if you want a 416, that guide gun should be a dandy!

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood